Saturday, October 4, 2014

B. E. Prepared!

B.E. Prepared! B.E. Prepared! ( like a little cheer) :)

It's that time of year again. 72 hour kit rotation time! Every 6 months around general conference I go through the kits and take out the expiring food and buy some more.  I kinda get excited about it but at the same time it is a lot of work. Here are some of my thoughts about 72 hour kits and getting them together:
- buy food you want to eat and it makes it fun to rotate because you get to eat it.
-buy what you can from the dollar store. This was the first time I did that and it happened by accident and I found some good buys there. (i bought chicken salad/ crackers (before I bought tuna and crackers for one of the meals...this chicken salad things was, obviously, only a dollar. However, I have no idea how it tastes.)
-as much as i want to have complete meals, it's an emergency and we'll be happy for something small that will give us enough energy to get through.
-keep it so you can carry it
-think about little kids being able to open the food if you weren't there (I hate thinking that we might not be together but at least they could eat despite all my other worries)
-small steps. that is the only thing that makes emergency preparedness possible for me. I'm still not completely prepared for 72 hours away from home with no access to all comforts but little by little I hope we will.  I try to collect things here and there.

my plan is that on Monday night we'll have a family home evening where we talk with Boo about emergencies and what to do. And show each family member their back pack and where everything is.
Last time when I was shopping for supplies a cashier asked why I was buying something (I don't remember what but I mentioned 72 hour kits and he had no idea what that was.  For some people it doesn't even cross their mind to be prepared for an emergency. I don't know how people live like that. Since I am a worry-wart, "the idea" of being prepared is comforting and something I hope for but I'm a long way from being prepared enough that I have peace and comfort knowing that we have what we need.

Anyway, B.E. prepared! :)

No comments: