Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Parenting and Muffins

Hey Hey!!! I'm baking some yummy Apple Pumpkin Muffins(recipe below) while Miss Boo takes a nap. I LOVE nap time. I'm fearing the day that she refuses to take a nap. I think nap time is what keeps me sane.

I'm currently in the middle of evaluating my parenting approach. I feel like a helicopter mom, hovering anxiously waiting for my child to freak out. I keep telling people that my daughter is crazy (she's not really, just busy and hilarious) but I think I'm the one that is on the verge of crazy. When I take her places, like the children museum I feel tense because its a situation I can't control. Church is another place that I get tense just waiting for her to do something that creates a scene. I just find myself trying to take deep breaths. 

When she's in a fight with an object or with another child over an object her eyes get so big and her mouth opens wide for her "AHHH" scream.  She can be a feisty one.

We just need to find a way to teach her how to share, not to hit me, or whine to get what she wants. And I have a suspicion that it will have to do more with training us, the parents, rather than her. 

Despite all this I can't tell you how many times my heart just overflows with love and joy for this sweet girl.  She makes my heart happy.


This is her playing with her newest cousin. She's learning how to be a helpful, loving sibling someday.
 The last few days she's found my old headbands and started wearing them. She also loves playing with my nailpolishes. Taking them in and out and lining them up.



Here's the recipe for the muffins I'm making:
APPLE PUMPKIN MUFFINS..YUM
2 1/2 C Flour (you can sneak in wheat flour here, you really can't tell)
2 C Sugar
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 t soda
1/2 salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 C pumpkin
1/2c vegetable oil
2 C peeled, finely chopped apples (about 2 apples)

STEUSEL TOPPING
2 T flour
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
4  t softened butter, cut into dry ingredients

Directions: Combine first 5 ingredients in bowl. Set aside. Combine egg, pumpkin and vegetable oil. Add to dry ingredients. Stir in apples. fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Top with Stresuel topping. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes (I found it takes less, I'd start checking on them 20-25 minutes)

1 comment:

Becky said...

Watch her with those nail polishes...one day when you're not looking she'll open one...or three!

I miss you guys. Wish we could have a play date...or three!