Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The nicu and our miracle

After our sweet babe was born (blog name still yet to be determined), I was able to hold her for a bit before the nursery nurse came to look at her and noticed her labored breathing. They took her away to give her oxygen. They also had to suck stuff out off her tummy since she swallowed a bunch of stuff while being born.
After a a couple of hours in the nursey not improving they moved her to the nicu. They hooked her up to a cpap, oxygen and stuck a tube down her throat to keep I believe fluid and air out of her tummy. They did x-rays and found she did have some fluids in her lungs. And they put her on antibiotics. It is so sad to see all that happen.
I wasn't worried that something serious was going to be forever wrong with her, especially having been through something similar to Boo's birth. Besides being concerned about the pain and discomfort she was experiencing, and what she'd have to go through to being whole, I was worried about how long her stay would be. I know this might sound awful, but I was concerned financially how a possible 7 day nicu stay would deplete our savings. It was one of my worries from the beginning of this pregnancy, knowing how expensive boo's stay was in the nicu.
As they poked and prodded I remembered my prayer the night before and that we would be blessed with a miracle.
We decided to call my dad over to help give her a blessing.
It was a special moment to call in the blessings of heaven through the priesthood on the behalf our baby.
We could just sit with her and look in on her little bed all hooked up.
(This is after the cpap and tube down her throat )

It wasn't until that evening when we were just sitting in her room that a night nurse let me hold her and nurse her. This was a no-no since she had the tube down her throat trying to keep everything out of her tummy. But I believe that night nurse was our miracle.  She was kind and encouraging telling me that skin to skin and nursing help the baby. It was amazing how holding her calmed her breathing down, I noticed that while I was holding her. After awhile we left. And probably a hour later or so GG went back to get something and she was off the cpap.
So she only was on the cpap and oxygen for 6 hours.  We just had to wait out to make sure she was okay and to finish the antibiotics.
They wanted to keep her longer but I questioned it a bit since she wasn't on anything and was doing fine. They decided to let her come home with me when I was discharged.  I was thrilled to be done with our stay and going home!


Stephanie said...

What a sweet tender mercy! Love you!
I'm glad she got better so quickly!

Katie Brown said...

The NICU is a world of it's own! The nurses that work there are angels!!! We loved and continue to be so grateful for every single one of our NICU nurses when Mikayla was born at 31 weeks, and she is almost three years old! I am so glad that your sweet baby didn't have a long stay! What a blessing! When Mikayla had a blessing hours after being born, it created miracles. What a wonderful gift priesthood blessings are!! Congrats!